Your day has been a mess. You tossed and turned throughout the night going from one nightmare to the next and you woke up with body pains. To make matters worse, you left your phone at home and you showed up late to that very important meeting. You literally woke up on the wrong side of the bed and your day is just a complete mess. When you’re day starts off this way what in the world do you do?
Hitting the restart button on such days is obviously out of the question. However, that doesn’t mean that you are at the mercy of such bad days. There are some simple and practical ways to change the cycle. It is important that you try to be on top of the situation so that you can get over it.
In order to provide you with the needed assistance to get over such challenges, I have compiled a list of what you can do to put yourself in the right frame of mind on your off days. Go through the list and find out what will work for you.
- Take some time out of your schedule to get outside. If time allows you can go for a jog, hike, picnic or sightseeing. On the other hand, if you had a busy hectic day in the office, your mood can get a boost if you just take a five-minute walk to get fresh air around the block. I personally always suggest you get out for lunch if possible. Taking your lunch at your desk while you work is the worst thing you can do especially when you’re have an “off” day.
- If you have someone who makes you feel special, give them a call. The special feeling of talking with them will overweigh the challenges especially when you’re laughing your head off.
- You can listen to some motivational recordings or read some motivational pieces to lift up your spirit. My podcast is a great start to getting your day on the right foot!
LISTEN NOW 🎙 Put You At The Top Of Your To Do List!
- You may decide to give yourself a treat. Go for pedicure, manicure, massage, facial, wax or get your hair done to move your mind away from the problems. Self care is the best gift you can give yourself.
- Call your friends or family members on your way to work. If you have a hearty discussion with them, that may lift up your mood and help you forget about everything. I personally always call my mom while I’m in the car especially when I’m with the kids so they can say “Hi” to grandma and tell her about their day. Talking with my mom always brightens my day.
- Avoid the pitfall of blaming yourself for everything that happened. If you engage in self-blame, you will find it difficult to get over the challenge. And honestly, sometimes the universe just has it out for us, right?
READ NOW 31 Morning Mantras
- Sometimes, when you seem to be having a bad day, practicing deep breathing is all you need to reduce the impact of the challenges and enjoy inner calmness.
- If everything seems bleak, grab your journal or notebook and create a gratitude list. This will help you focus on what really makes you happy, the positive things in life, rather than focusing on the negative.
- Pay a visit to Pinterest and go through all the wonderful images and quotes on the site. I’ve created a great #SelfLove board that I update often. Check it out daily, I promise it will leave you on a high note and make those bad days better.
- Confide in someone or find a convenient way to vent your feelings. The reassuring feeling that you have got it out of your head may do the magic.
- Sign up for a meditation class in your are as soon as possible. Positive meditation or yoga may have a positive impact on your mood.
- Do you have some memorable occasions saved in your album? This is the time to go through them again. Rest assured that you will find funny moments that will drive your pain away.
- Take a walk to the nearest public park. Enjoy the beautiful scenery. If you have a book with you or have an e-reader, sit on a bench and read your book. You’ll be in better spirits afterwards.
- Don’t forget to drink water. Sometimes we forget to do the most basic and fundamental things that may assist us to function perfectly well physically, mentally, and emotionally. Drink enough water and you will see the impact.
- If you are passionate about cooking or baking, find a new recipe and keep yourself busy. In no time, you will get over it the frump. While you’re at it, send some dinner over to my house.
- Enjoy the medicinal value of laughter. Listen to your favorite comedy or a comedy podcast and laugh your heart out. The impact will be huge and positive.
READ NOW 5 Podcasts I Listen To Every Week
- If you are an animal lover, take a walk with your pet or take your neighbor’s dog for a walk. If you are not in the mood for that, go online and read up whatever you can about your pet. The knowledge you find may give you something better to think about.
- Why don’t you go for a shower? The warming or cooling effect of the water may lift up your spirit.
- If you enjoy preparing your favorite cocktail, this is another opportunity to make it at home. All I need is a glass of my favorite Moscato to make me forget about the troubles of a bad day.
- Do you have a fallow piece of land at home? Get out and get your hands dirty. When you are through with gardening, the next thing on your mind is to keep the garden in good condition that will be conducive to your plant.
- Let your frustration out subtly. Scream if you must. Punch your pillow. Throw it around. Do whatever you like with it until your mood is stable. When you are through, rearrange your room and experience the calming effect.
- Try the holistic wellness approach. If there is a healing shop in your neighborhood, visit it. Offer to take a lesson in healing crystals, aura sprays, and ritual candles. The readiness to learn new things will make you forget your worries.
- Play some games. If chess is your thing, go ahead with it. Play solitaire. Play video games if you are good at it. These activities will help you forget about your worries as they stimulate your mind without stressing you physically. My kids and I love to play Trouble and Hungry Hungry Hippo.
- Do you have a theater or gallery in your neighborhood? If you do, create time to visit the gallery or theater. The beautiful atmosphere and art masterpieces will give you a unique experience.
- Go to the movie and see a good movie. Rather than keep yourself holed in your room and feel moody, the theater will offer a relief. You will obviously connect with any of the characters and thus get over your mood.
These are some practical ways you can turn your mood around if you have a bad day. When you are through with any of the options you decide on, you will be in the right frame of mind to face tomorrow with optimism. That’s a good way to get over a bad day.