Feature Photo Credit: Joe Chea
Being kind to yourself isn’t a luxury… it’s a necessity.
It also isn’t an act of selfishness. Practicing self-care means that you’re willing to accept yourself and acknowledge the fact that you have both strengths and weaknesses. When you take care good care of yourself, you also set the standards for how you want to be treated by others.
I have two small kids and I sometimes have to lock myself in my bedroom with wine, snacks and my DVR. I just need time away from my kids and the hubby. You can’t pour from an empty cup, unless I refill mine. And don’t mean wine. 🙂
Do you agree?
It’s not always easy, especially if you love staying busy, working and taking care of others. You might even feel a little guilty about taking some time out for yourself. BUT, we all need to show ourselves a little extra love at times. Better yet, make it a habit. Whether it be turning off your phone for a few hours or giving yourself a little day off once one a while.
Shout out to ThirteenThoughts for many of the ideas on this list.
1. Watch your favorite movie. For the 20th time.
2. Take a long bath.
3. Burn your favorite candle.
4. Turn off your phone for a few hours.
5. Meditate (you can start right here).
6. Have a mini pamper session.
7. Go for a run or a long walk.
8. Write yourself a love letter.
9. Wear your favorite perfume.
10. Put some music on and dance away.
11. Take yourself to lunch or dinner at your favorite restaurant.
12. Go outside, lie on your back and watch the sky.
13. Write down 10 things you’re grateful for.
14. Give yourself a manicure.
15. Treat yourself with your favorite dessert.
16. Buy yourself some flowers.
17. Do something for the first time; it can be something very simple, like trying out a new restaurant for the first time, all by yourself (you can always order your food to go, if you’re too uncomfortable eating alone at the table).
18. Have an intense workout session.
19. Get up early, make yourself breakfast and enjoy your morning tea in peace and quiet. No TV, no radio, no phone, no laptop.
20. Throw yourself a little party. Buy a bottle of your favorite wine, grab some takeout and read through all the magazines you’ve been hoarding. Maybe watch some mindless TV?
21. Slow down and be present. This post will show you how.
22. Listen to music. Just close your eyes and listen to music.
23. Create a vision board for yourself.
24. Call someone you love.
25. Read a good book.
26. Listen to a podcast
27. Take a nap.
28. Create positive, loving affirmations for yourself.
29. Plan a fun weekend for yourself and your partner/friends/family. It can be something as simple as game night and pizza.
30. Binge-watch your favorite TV show on Netflix or YouTube videos
31. Try a new, healthy recipe.
32. Do something creative.
33. Have a cup of coffee or tea from your favorite coffee place or.
34. Write a thank you note to someone. Just because.
35. Have a little girls’ night in.
36. Kick-start your day with some positive affirmations.
37. Have a lunch date with a friend.
38. Cuddle with your pet. Or with your human 😉 .
39. Get a massage
40. Get waxed.
How do you practice self-care? How often do you take small brakes, just for yourself?